Categories:

Why BSU’s Are Necessary in Predominantly White Institutions

Black Student Unions are beneficial for students who don't feel seen in their communities via Unsplash.com

via unsplash.com
Black Student Unions are beneficial for students who don’t feel seen in their communities via Unsplash.com via unsplash.com
Suad Kamardeen

Oregon City High School as a whole, lacks diversity. This is something that causes black students to feel uncomfortable and unwanted within their school community. This is in addition to the fact that we are the most under-represented and marginalized group of students on campus. 

I’m very familiar with this isolating feeling because I am a student who identifies as black and I’ve been going to OCHS for my entire high school experience. After 4 years of going to this school, and seeing the way I and other black students have been treated and under-represented, it is baffling to me that it wasn’t until my senior year that the BSU program was created.   

Participating in BSU is the only time I’ve felt comfortable enough to share stories about discrimination I’ve faced on school grounds and express my concerns about the lack of representation here at our school. 

During our meetings, I’ve come to find out that many of my classmates feel the same way.

Groups like BSU are crucial to the success and support of black students at OCHS. Students need an environment where they feel comfortable asking questions and asking for help when needed. 

Understanding why representation is important might be challenging, but I challenge you to wonder why that is. Is it because you’ve never had to worry about walking into school, work, or any other public setting, and seeing someone in charge who looks like you?

I can say that I have never had that luxury. I’m always worried that the next person in power will question my abilities or intelligence just because of the way I look. This is very much a universal experience among my black peers. 

Being in a classroom afraid to ask the teacher a simple question for fear of being judged is a feeling no student should have to face, especially not alone. This is also why BSUs are so important. They create a safe space for students to share similar experiences and feel seen and heard. 

This safe space is where students can prosper and thrive. A great lack of representation in our school puts our black students at a disadvantage. For all students to have the same opportunities for success, representation, and advocacy, BSUs are necessary.

Donate to The Elevator
$125
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Oregon City High School. All contributions go towards our website upkeep and any material needs throughout the year. We appreciate any and all support we can get.